Quotes About Happiness
Have you got a favorite happiness quote? If you need some inspiration to help boost your happiness and get you thinking in a positive, constructive way, then these quotes about happiness can help. Let's take a look at what the wise thinkers of our world have said about happiness and how we can apply their principles in our own lives. If a particular quote about happiness makes you smile or gets you thinking about happiness in your own life, why not make a note of it and look at it a few times throughout the day, just to remind yourself of the true value of happiness and how you can achieve it. Could you begin your own collection of quotes about happiness that could pick you up and inspire you when you are feeling a little lost or when life gets you down?
Ten Amazing Quotes About Happiness
1. "The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life." (William Morris)
William Morris, an artist, and philosopher learned through his artistic practice that details matter. Really what Morris is saying in this quote about happiness is that in order to be happy, we need to exist in the moment and appreciate the finer details of our lives; the play of the sunlight on the grass, the sound of the cat purring, or the taste of fresh bread. We can get true joy from these simple pleasures.
2. "Happiness consists more in conveniences of pleasure that occur every day than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom." (Benjamin Franklin)
Benjamin Franklin also focuses on the need to appreciate the smaller things that make us happy. By enjoying the small everyday pleasures that we experience often, we can achieve more happiness than relying on bigger achievements. So it is better to learn to truly enjoy your daily meals than holding out waiting for that big celebratory meal that only happens once a year.
3. "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." (Franklin D. Roosevelt)
To be happy, Roosevelt suggests we must have something we are working towards, but we must find happiness in the thrill of making the effort itself; enjoy the journey instead of holding out for the destination. This is a very simple quote about happiness that has inspired many people through the years.
4. "Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though it were his own." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Goethe, a writer who often philosophized about the nature of happiness, identifies the need for each of us to take happiness in others' happiness. This attitude, in which we value other people and empathize with their joys, can bring real happiness. This is a very famous quote about happiness.
5. "Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose chase, and is never attained." (Nathaniel Hawthorne)
Hawthorne, the great American novelist, raises an important point; he reminds us that happiness is often something that comes when we don't expect it, whereas if we are chasing it, it seems to remain always just out of reach. This can be a useful reminder to relax and enjoy the moment and let happiness alight upon us like a butterfly, which is almost impossible to catch.
6. "Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it." (Fyodor Dostoevsky)
The Russian novelist Dostoevsky is often considered a difficult writer who tackled themes that explored the human condition, and yet here we have a quote that really conveys a lot of hope. He is reminding us to be grateful for the blessings we have. Gratitude is a huge part of happiness. Count your joys!
7. "Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be." (Abraham Lincoln)
It might not seem like a very philosophical approach to happiness, but in this simple statement, Lincoln sums up something very important about happiness; there is an element of choice. If you make up your mind to be happy despite your outward circumstances, then you can be. It requires determination, but happiness is worth it.
8. "The habit of being happy enables one to be freed, or largely freed, from the domination of outward conditions." (Robert Louis Stevenson)
If you have ever wondered how some manage to find happiness despite having to endure very difficult life circumstances, then this quote about happiness from Robert Louis Stevenson could give you insight into how this can be possible. Making happiness a personal habit enables people to stop relying on outer 'things' or 'circumstances' to make them happy.
9. "Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." (Marcel Proust)
Proust also reminds us of gratitude, but he creates this wonderful image of the people who make us happy, acting like gardeners, helping our happiness to bloom, or our "souls to blossom." This is a welcome reminder to appreciate the people who make us happy and repay their kindness to us.
10. "It isn't what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it." (Dale Carnegie)
Thoughts are so important, and this is picked up in various quotes about happiness from Dale Carnegie. You may have experienced a time when you 'should' have been happy, but your thoughts were full of worries or fears or anger. Similarly, when you are in a tough situation, you can achieve a sense of happiness through positive thoughts, gratitude, and mindfulness.
All of these quotes about happiness have something to teach us about what happiness is and how we can change our attitudes towards happiness. There are certain ideas that come up repeatedly in quotes about happiness; the principles of gratitude, empathy, helping other people, and not getting so caught up in the pursuit of happiness that we lose our way. Sometimes the best way to 'be happy' is to create a personal happiness habit that doesn't depend on outward circumstances but instead comes from inside us, fuelled by our thoughts. Choose your favorite quote about happiness and put it into practice today.